Nagasaki Medical College,the predecessor of
Nagasaki University School of Medicine,was the oldest and one
of the most famous medical colleges in Japan when the atomic bomb
exploded here on August 9,1945.
Located only 600 meters east of the hupocenter,the college buildings collapsed and burned to ashes,leaving 892 staff members and students dead in the ruins of the college and attached hospital.Nagasaki City installs this plaque as a prayer for the deceased and to ensure that this tradedy is never repeated.
However on August 9th,1945,the College was destroyed
by the atomic bombing,having been located only about 700m southeeast
of the hypocenter.The explosion instantly wiped out almost all
the buildings and facilities,and killed most of the professors,students
and nurses.The still seated figures of the dead were later found
in their classrooms.The total number of victims of the Medical
College,and the Medical College Hospital,was about 890.
The original heavy stone gate post at the back entrance of the college was blasted of its pedestal by the 280m a second bomb-blast,actually exposed to the bomb.This is evident at first glance.The gate is one of the valuable relics which shows us the terribleness of the blast.
Today,the Nagasaki University School of Medicine houses,the Atomic Bomb Disasters Scientific Data Center,and the Atomic Disease Institute.